What Are Faber Castell Polychromos Pencils?
Faber Castell Polychromos Pencils are professional artist’s quality colour pencils. They come in a wide range of 120 colours which are made with pure pigments giving you a high level of covering power and light-fastness. Each lead is encased in California cedar wood by the Secural bonding method which strengthens the lead to resist breakage and provides a very sharp point. The oil based lead is water resistant, smudge proof and can be easily blended and layered.
Polychromos Pencils give a creamy smooth soft stroke with excellent covering power. They can be used on paper, card, wood, fabric and more.
Top 10 Tips For Using Polychromos Pencils:
Artist Chris Woodfield uses Polychromos Pencils to create vibrant, detailed Marvel comic characters on paper, fabric and walls.
We asked Chris for his top 10 tips and techniques for using Polychromos Pencils:
1. I use a Scalpel for sharpening my Polychromos Pencils. The strong lead allows for a very fine point and incredible detail.
2. A Faber Castell Perfection Pencil is a brilliant tool for erasing small mistakes or creating soft highlights. I find it better than putty erasers due to increased grip and accuracy.
3. Always keep your Polychromos Pencils sharp! Whether shading or cross hatching, a sharp pencil yields better colour results.
4. Temperature can affect pencils and you can use this to your advantage. A warmer pencil will blend more easily which is ideal when covering large areas.
5. When blending colours, for example, a light flesh and brown ochre, I use the light flesh colour as a blender to take off the hard edges. This works for all light and dark blending. Experiment for some unique shades!
6. I find Polychromos Pencils perfect for using over the top of Acrylic Paints. The fact that they don’t smudge makes them easy to work with and produces brilliant effects and textures.
7. When using your Polychromos Pencils on fabrics, remember to spray on some Fixative once you’ve finished a colour layer and repeat the process often to let the previous colour layer show through in your work.
8. Keep a spare piece of paper or card next to you whilst drawing. It becomes invaluable for testing out colour combinations, without ruining your work.
9. Zest It Pencil Blend is ideal for blending oil based coloured pencils. Use this medium to blend colours together, soften hard edges and to lay down large areas of smooth colour. Zest-it leaves no residue on or in the paper and it smells lovely!
10. Don’t limit yourself! Polychromos Pencils are beautiful on paper, card and fabrics and with the right cleaning and preparation can be used to create murals on walls and designs on pretty much any surface you can imagine!
What Are The Key Features Of Polychromos Pencils?
– Polychromos Pencils have excellent covering power.
– Oil based leads are harder than wax based leads, allowing them to sharpen really well and retain their sharp point throughout. They are deal for achieving fine detail.
– Polychromos Pencils have a smooth buttery colour that can be layered and blended repeatedly with the use of a blending medium.
– The leads are break resistant due to the SV bonding method. Secural bonding is where the lead is glued to the wood on both sides and down the full length of the pencil. This strengthens the lead, prevents breakage and allows for better sharpening. If the lead were to break it would not fall out of the pencil.
– Smudge proof and water resistant oil based lead can be used on paper, card, fabric, wood, walls, vellum and more.
– Only the highest quality lightfast pigments are used by Faber Castell in the range of 120 Polychromos Pencils.
What Colours Are Available In Polychromos Pencils?
There are 120 colours available in the Faber Castell Polychromos Pencil range.
You can buy Polychromos Pencils In Single Colours or in sets of 12, 24, 36, 60 or a Set Of The Full Range Of 120 Polychromos Pencils. Polychromos Pencils are part of the Faber-Castell colour matching system. If you decide to use other products from Faber-Castell ranges the colours will match.
Faber Castell’s Polychromos pencils are used worldwide by professional artists and amateurs alike. Unsurpassed lightfastness and high pigment quality have ensured their appeal. Whether you plan to use them for drawing, rendering or on fabric, you will love using Polychromos Pencils and the sets make an ideal gift for artists and students.
Botanical Artist Ann Swan recommends Polychromos Pencils and finds that the hardness of the lead and subsequent lack of breakage makes them very economical.
For great prices on Faber Castell Polychromos Pencils and other Art Supplies shop online with Pullingers Art Shop.
Do you have any tips on using Polychromos Pencils?