Win Cash Prizes Worth £35,000 And The Chance To Exhibit With The Royal Society Of Portrait Painters At The Mall Galleries:
The Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition is open for entries. There are two new awards, the Burke’s Peerage Foundation and the Seven Investment Management, so the prize value now stands at a whopping £35,000!
What Is The Royal Society Of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition?
The Royal Society of Portrait Painters was initially formed by twenty four artists in 1891. Frustrated by the elitism of the Royal Academy they formed a group devoted entirely to the art of portrait painting. The Society is now a registered charity and continues to “encourage the appreciation, study and practice of the art of portraiture”.
The Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition showcases around 200 portraits. Works selected from the open submission are displayed alongside that of the society’s members.
Not only will the chosen artists exhibit at the Mall Galleries and be awarded cash prizes they will meet influential people from the art world and hopefully receive portrait commissions. The society has a great service where they match people to artists during the show.
Who Can Enter This Annual Exhibition?
All artists over the age of 18 can enter the Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition. You may enter a maximum of six works in any medium including painting, drawing and original prints but excluding sculpture. Your work must have been completed within the last three years and must not have been previously exhibited in London.
What Are The Prizes?
There are seven prizes up for grabs in the Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition including two new ones.
1. The Seven Investment ‘Conversations’ Prize of £15,000 is brand new and will be awarded to the work that best interprets a conversation piece involving two or more figures.
2. The Burke’s Peerage Foundation Award of £2,000 for the most classically inspired portrait is the second new addition.
3. The Ondaatje Prize for Portraiture is a biggie at £10,000 and will be awarded to the most distinguished painting.
4. The de Laszlo Foundation Prize of £3,000 will be awarded to the most outstanding portrait by an young artist 35 years or under.
5. The Prince of Wales’s Award of £2,000 is for Portrait Drawing in any drawing medium.
6. The Changing Faces Commission Prize of £2,000 commission to produce a portrait of a person with a disfigurement for the Changing Faces collection.
7. The Arts Club Charitable Trust Award of £1,000 to the most deserving artist in the exhibition. This will be judged by the charitable trust.
How Do I Enter The Royal Society Of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition?
Artists can submit up to six works of which a total of three may be selected. Initial entry is through an online process. Entry is £15 per work, £10 for under 35’s.
The deadline for the Royal Society of Portrait Painters is 9th January 2015.
Enter the Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition 2015 now!
The Royal Society of Portrait Painters Annual Exhibition 2015 will be held at the Mall Galleries form the 16th April 2015 until 1st May.
Are you thinking of entering this competition?
Get great deals on Oil Paints, Acrylic Paints, brushes and other quality Art Supplies at Pullingers Art Shop.
Good Luck and let us know if you make the grade!