Liquitex Pouring Medium is an acrylic medium that creates a marbled effect on virtually any surface. Mix it with fluid acrylics such as Liquitex Soft Body Acrylics or Liquitex Inks and pour it, drip it and swirl it.
Simply mix Liquitex Pouring Medium straight into the acrylic paint and use. Acrylic colours mixed with Pouring Medium won’t go muddy or mix with each other. Liquitex Pouring Medium is designed not to craze in poured applications and has an ultra smooth glossy finish.
How To Mix Pouring Medium With Colour?
- Prepare your colours first in empty pots by mixing approximately one tablespoon of Liquitex Acrylic with one cup of Liquitex Pouring Medium. The ratio of paint to Pouring Medium may differ slightly if you are using inks or another brand of acrylic paint (student quality acrylic paints will require more colour).
- Stir it with a palette knife or wooden spatula and then let it sit for 5 – 10 minutes to avoid bubbles.
- You can now pour your colour straight from the container or put it into a squeezy bottle / applicator of choice.
- Pour it on to canvas, board, card, glass, plastic, metal, cotton or wood!
- Pour it evenly over the surface and allow at least 24 – 48 hours for it to dry, depending on the thickness.
How to apply Liquitex Pouring Medium to a surface:
There are lots of different ways of applying Liquitex Pouring Medium. If you want to create a marbled effect on canvas, pour your mixed colours directly on to the canvas next to each other. Then, tilt your canvas in different directions and watch the colours run into each other without mixing and changing colour. You can use a palette knife or cocktail stick to drag the colours into one another.
You can also add multiple colours that have been pre-mixed with Pouring Medium into a pot. Then, as you pour it onto your surface, the colours will instantly reveal a marble effect. Amsterdam Acrylic Paints work well to achieve this effect.
Or, drip your mixed colour down your surface using pipettes. Allow the paint to run down the surface at a variety of speeds to create a colourful abstract painting:
When using Liquitex Pouring Medium, make sure that you elevate your canvas on the table to allow drips off the side of the canvas to collect on your protected work surface. Beware, it can get messy!
Have fun and experiment with Liquitex Pouring Medium now! You can buy everything that you need from Pullingers Art Supplies, including a Liquitex Pouring Medium Set. This set contains a small bottle of Liquitex Pouring Medium and 3 Liquitex Inks.
Show us what you have created with Pouring Medium and share your tips and techniques!